Okay, a friend just linked me to a theory that had a very interesting connection. If you go here , you will see the '42 Negative Confessions' from the Book of the Dead, an artifact that dates to ancient Egypt.
To save your time, here are six of them:
- 4 - I have not slain men and women.
- 8 - I have not uttered lies.
- 15 - I have not attacked any man.
- 16 - I am not a man of deceit.
- 23 - I have terrorised none.
- 42 - I have not slain the cattle belonging to the god.
If we line these up with the characters with those numbers; Locke (4) - Certainly has not slain men and women. Hurkey (8) - He may have told lies during his life, but he's not really a liar per se. Sawyer (15) - This one falls down a bit. Sayid (16) - This one too (The theory I read suggested switching Sayid and Sawyer, dunno) Jack (23) - Not intentionally :P Sun/Jin(42) - Apparantly cattle wa symbolic of fertility in ancient Egypt.
I don't normally buy into such extreme connections like this, but it intrigued me and I thought a few of you might like it.