Day 1 - Wednesday, 22 September 2004
- Desmond follows Kelvin out of the Hatch, and comes upon him repairing the Elizabeth. Enraged at being deceived, Desmond attacks and accidentally kills Kelvin.
- 4:16pm: When Desmond returns to the Swan, the computer has reached system failure and begins to release an electromagnetic pulse, causing the crash of Oceanic Flight 815.
- The Barracks are shaken like an earthquake. The Others witness Flight 815 break up and crash on the Island. Ben sends Goodwin to infiltrate the tail section survivors at one side of the Island, and Ethan Rom to infiltrate the fuselage survivors elsewhere. Both are ordered to return with lists within three days. Harper believes Goodwin was sent as a punishment for his relationship with Juliet.
- Ana Lucia is knocked out by luggage falling out of the overhead compartment, wakes up underwater, and swims to shore.
- Jack is thrown a distance from the wreckage into the jungle, unconscious. "Christian Shephard" sends Vincent to wake Jack as he has "work to do".
- Jack awakens in a bamboo thicket, and sees Vincent run past. He gets to his feet and makes his way to the beach, where the survivors are panicking and calling out for their loved ones.
- John Locke discovers that he can use his legs again.
- Jack, Locke, and another survivor pull Tourniquet man out from under a piece of wreckage. Gary Troup is killed when he is sucked into one of Flight 815's engines. Jack gets Hurley to watch Claire and after Boone's failed attempt, he manages to resuscitate Rose after.
- Nikki searches through the wreckage for Paulo. She finds Arzt panicking, Boone asks her for a pen, she finds Paulo staring out at the ocean, stunned, and asks immediately where the bag of diamonds are.
- Meanwhile, Ana Lucia and Eko rescue tail section survivors. Ana Lucia resuscitates Emma, and promises to get her and Zach home to their mother. Libby resets Donald's leg.
- 10 minutes after the crash, Goodwin rushes out of the jungle calling for help to rescue Bernard from a tree. Later that afternoon, Goodwin tells Ana Lucia he is with the Peace Corps.
- Immediately after the crash, Ben takes Juliet to visit The Flame communications station. A video link to Florida shows that Juliet's sister is alive and has a son. There is News footage of the missing plane. Mikhail begins to gather information on Oceanic Flight 815's passengers and crew.
- Charlie's relationship with Claire begins when he starts to help and reassure her after the crash.
- That night Charlie and Sayid build a signal fire, to no avail. Boone and Shannon discuss rescue, Hurley distributes food, Michael looks after Walt, Jin tells Sun to stay close, and Jack looks after Edward Mars.
- Jack and Kate make a plan to find the cockpit in an effort to obtain the transceiver.
- In the jungle near the mid-section crash site, the Monster uproots trees and makes frightening noises.
- Bernard asks Eko if he found his wife. Eko says he will pray for her and for rescue. The Others kidnap three of the tail section survivors. They try to take Eko, but he fights them off, killing two.
- We later see this date inscribed on Jin's grave off the island.
Day 2 - Thursday, 23 September 2004
- The tailies discover they are not alone on the Island. As penance for his act of murder, Eko begins a vow of silence that will last for forty days, and arms himself with his trademark stick. Ana Lucia argues the best way to avoid kidnap (by the Others) is to set up camp somewhere else. Cindy tells the other survivors that chances of rescue are poor because the plane was traveling in the wrong direction for 2 hours before crashing.
- The survivors discuss the Monster while Jack, Kate and Charlie travel inland to find the cockpit. Meanwhile rain falls heavily; the Monster is once again heard near the beach.
- Sixteen hours after the crash, the three find the front section of the plane with the pilot, Seth Norris, still alive. He reveals that the plane was off course, and is then killed by the Monster. Jack and Kate take the plane's radio transceiver. Charlie retrieves his heroin.
- Jack discovers the transceiver doesn't work, Shannon and Claire meet, Michael asks Sun and Jin where Walt is, while he is looking for his dog, Vincent. Sawyer and Sayid get in a fight. Jack tends to Edward Mars and sends Hurley looking for antibiotics. Sayid fixes the transceiver. Shannon and Boone argue.
- Sayid, Kate, Sawyer, Charlie, Shannon and Boone go into the jungle to find a high spot from which to send a distress call. Jack says he saw Vincent. Locke shows Walt backgammon. Jin's food awakes Claire's baby.
- Sawyer shoots a polar bear. Jack operates on Mars while Hurley passes out. Shannon translates Rousseau's distress signal. Sayid (incorrectly) calculates it has been playing for 16 years and 5 months.
- Mars shows Jack Kate's mugshot telling him she's dangerous.
- The signal expedition makes camp and decide not to tell what they heard.
- Carmen Reyes' birthday.
- Oceanic 815 is expected to land in Los Angeles on Sept 22 10:15am PDT / Sept 23, 5:15am Fiji time.
Day 3 - Friday, 24 September 2004
- The tail-section survivors search desperately for food. Libby tells Ana Lucia that Donald is close to being the 4th to die.
- Sayid organizes groups to collect electronics to boost a signal, and to collect food and water. Kate tells Jack about the distress signal. Jack collects more antibiotics from the fuselage where Sawyer is looting, Jin tells Sun to wash up, Charlie helps Claire move her bags.
- Kate goes to see Mars who grabs her by the neck. Walt tells Michael that a miracle happened to Locke, and Michael promised to find Vincent. He comes across Sun bathing. Locke makes a dog whistle. Mars is in pain; Sawyer suggests euthanizing him. Mars tells Jack not to trust Kate.
- Kate tells her favor request: give Ray his reward. To put the Marshal out of his misery, Sawyer shoots him in the chest, aiming for his heart, but he misses and fails to kill him. Jack is forced to euthanize him.
- Jack sees and chases what appears to be his dead father through the jungle. It is actually the Man in Black who later claims he appeared as Christian because Jack needed to find water.
Day 4 - Saturday, 25 September 2004
- Locke finds Vincent using a hand-crafted whistle, and hands him to Michael to return to Walt. Kate wants to tell Jack what she did.
- (Night) Vincent's barking at noises in the fuselage wakes up the camp. Jack and Sawyer find boars rummaging among the corpses inside the fuselage. Jack concludes they need to burn the bodies in the fuselage.
Day 5 - Sunday, 26 September 2004
- Sayid creates antennae hoping to triangulate the source of the distress signal. Walt disobeys Michael and talks to Locke. Hurley and Sawyer get in a fight over his stash. Locke suggests hunting boar.
- Kate joins the hunting party to set up one of Sayid's antennae; Michael also joins and leaves Walt with Sun.
- Claire shows Steve and Kristen's wedding planner and suggests a memorial service. Boone notices Rose sitting alone and Shannon says she can catch a fish. Locke, Michael, and Kate follow the boars' tracks. Shannon asks Charlie to help her fish. Jack sits with Rose.
- Michael is injured. Locke continues hunting. Hurley and Charlie try to catch a fish. Claire finds Sayid's photos of Nadia. Rose talks to Jack.
- Kate mounts the antenna in a tree. Locke sees the Monster while hunting boar. Michael and Kate return. Charlie brings Shannon a fish.
- Donald dies and is buried on the beach.
- Michael finds Jin's Rolex watch.
- Jack begins to have visions of his father. Locke returns with a boar. Claire leads a memorial service for the dead as the fuselage is burnt.
Day 6 - Monday, 27 September 2004
- Jack sees Joanna Miller in the ocean; he saves Boone who was trying to save her, but Joanna drowns. He feels guilty for not talking to her. Walt shows Michael how to use aloe as toothpaste as Sun showed him. Sun wonders what they will do, but Jin says he will tell her. Kate sorts clothes while Claire correctly predicts she's a Gemini. Hurley and Charlie come to Jack for help when the water runs out.
- Boone tells Jack he didn't need his help. Jack ignores him and pursues an apparition of his father (Christian Shephard) into the jungle. Claire passes out from heat, Kate asks to give her water, but it has been stolen.
- Jack rolls down a steep hill and almost falls off a cliff, but is rescued by Locke. Charlie returns with some water for Claire a couple of hours later. Hurley notices that Sun and Jin have water and when asked they indicate that they got it from Sawyer. Despite finding his stash, they learn that he did not steal the remaining water but simply traded his own.
- Locke says the survivors need Jack, but he doesn't want to lead. He tells Locke of his hallucination and they part ways. As night falls, Jack finds the caves and fresh water along with more 815 wreckage including his father's empty coffin. Boone is discovered to be the water thief.
- Nikki and Paulo search through the luggage for their diamonds. Ethan suggests they try looking inland. Arzt and others chase Boone for taking the water.
- Jack returns with news of fresh water and tells everyone to do their part in working together.
- In Gainesville, Florida, the Virgin Mary seems to appear on a patch of mold on the side of an old housing complex, attracting as many as 5,000 people.
Day 7 - Tuesday, 28 September 2004
- Jack, Kate, Charlie, and Locke leave to get water at the caves. Jin attacks Michael, and is restrained with handcuffs. Charlie breaks open a beehive. Jack and Kate find two old corpses (Adam and Eve) in the cave. Michael discovers Walt knows nothing about him.
- Jack tries to convince people to go to the caves. Sun reveals her knowledge of English to Michael to explain that Jin was only wanting the Rolex watch. Locke reveals his knowledge of Charlie's heroin addiction and convinces him to give up the heroin in exchange for his guitar. Michael returns the watch and frees Jin.
- Arzt argues against moving to the caves. The Monster is heard nearby and Arzt decides to move to the caves.
- Sun, Jin, Hurley and at least 4 other survivors move from the beach to the caves with Jack, Locke, and Charlie. The rest of the survivors watch their signal fire.
Day 8 - Wednesday, 29 September 2004
- Charlie and Locke go for a walk in the jungle. Jack packs up his beach shelter. Charlie becomes bait for a boar trap and asks for his heroin back. Sayid, Kate, and Boone try to triangulate the source of the distress signal with three antennae. When Charlie argues with Jack about being treated as a child, one of the caves collapses and Jack becomes trapped. Charlie gets Michael, Steve, Scott, and Boone to help, and Sawyer goes after Kate, but joins the antenna expedition instead of telling her about Jack. Shannon is left to work the beach antenna.
- While Michael and team work at getting Jack out, Charlie asks for his drugs a second time, to which Locke explains a moth's struggle is what strengthens it. After Sayid leaves to set up the final antenna, Sawyer tells Kate about Jack, so she leaves to find him. Charlie climbs in the cave as the tunnel collapses and puts Jack's shoulder back in place. Jack admits his knowledge of Charlie's addiction. Charlie finds another way out of the cave.
- At 5:00pm Sayid, Shannon, and Sawyer light their signal rockets, but Locke knocks Sayid out before he gets the triangulation.
- At night, Jack covers for Charlie, Walt wants to move to the caves, Kate makes Jack a sling, Charlie throws his heroin into the fire.
Day 9 - Thursday, 30 September 2004
- Sawyer goes skinny dipping and flirts with Kate. He returns to find Boone looking through his stuff. Jack tends to Sayid's head wound, then to Boone who was beaten by Sawyer. Charlie brings a water bottle for Claire on the beach. Jack confronts Sawyer over Shannon's inhalers that Boone suspects Sawyer has. Kate makes a deal for the inhalers, making note of Sawyer's letter which she reads. Locke offers Sayid a knife in case he's attacked again.
- When Shannon begins an asthma attack, Jack hits Sawyer for keeping the inhalers.