"Time and Time Again" is a orchestral piece on the Season 4 soundtrack. The alternately noble and ominous five-note theme serves as the main theme of the freighter people, particularly Frank, as well as the theme of the freighter in general.
In the helicopter, Sayid restrains Desmond who is struggling to escape. Frank pilots the helicopter toward the freighter, while Desmond looks down at his photo. The helicopter lands, and Frank and Sayid talk to Keamy and Omar.
Full list of appearances
"Time and Time Again" and its variations appear in the following scenes:
- Charlotte unearths a Polar Bear. ("Confirmed Dead")
- Charlotte calls Regina. ("Eggtown")
- The helicopter flies toward the Kahana. ("The Constant")
- Jin asks Jack if the people from the freighter are really friends. ("The Other Woman")
- Frank talks to Keamy and Regina. ("Ji Yeon")
- Michael, posing as Kevin Johnson, arrives at the Kahana's dock. ("Meet Kevin Johnson")
- Ray is found on the beach. ("The Shape of Things to Come")
- The mercenaries return to the freighter. ("Cabin Fever")
- The Zodiac drops the first lot of survivors on to the freighter. ("There's No Place Like Home, Part 1")
- Jin races to get to the helicopter before it leaves the freighter. ("There's No Place Like Home, Part 3")
- Frank is revealed to be the pilot of Ajira Flight 316. ("316")
- Locke tells Walt that the last he heard of Michael, he was on a boat near the Island ("The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham")
- Daniel exits the submarine and arrives back on the island ("The Variable")
The piece begins with the psychic motif, moving into a mix of Desmond's theme and the ascending melody from the contact motif. It then moves into its own theme, which strongly shares elements with Sun and Jin's. It then plays the freighter motif and ends on the mystery theme.
Prior to the scene in which the piece plays, Desmond's mind jumps between two different time periods.