Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
"The Well of Holes" is an orchestral piece on the season 6 soundtrack. It features the theme for the Heart of the Island, which plays only during the finale and is the final theme of the series to be introduced.
Jack and the Man in Black bring Desmond toward the Heart of the Island. They then lower him down, and the Man likens the scene to entering the Hatch. Jack reminds him that he isn't Locke and the two debate how right Locke was about the Island.
Full list of appearances
The theme plays during the following scenes:
- The Man in Black, Jack, and Desmond walk to the cave of light. ("The End")
- Jack ties a rope around Desmond's waist. ("The End")
- Jack and the Man in Black look down the waterfall. ("The End")
- Desmond arrives in the Heart chamber. ("The End")
- The Man in Black runs into the jungle. ("The End")
- Jack wakes up and runs into the cave. ("The End")
- Jack tells Kate and Sawyer to leave while he tuns the light back on. ("The End")
- Jack descends into the Heart. ("The End")
- Jack replaces the cork. ("The End")
The first movement begins with Claire's theme and then moves into the home theme. The second movement begins with the piece's new theme before moving into a percussive variation of the Light theme and finally ending on the new motif.
The title likely references the Well of Souls. Jews believe Abraham prepared to sacrifice Isaac at this site, and Muslims believe that the prophet Muhammad ascended from it. Desmond, who earlier referenced Abraham and Isaac, enters the Heart in this scene. Widmore called Desmond's actions a sacrifice. Later, Jack miraculously ascends from the Heart back to the surface.