Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
"The Tangled Web" is an orchestral piece on the Season 5 soundtrack. The mysterious, haunting theme played by the string section serves as the theme for the protector of the Island. It is most strongly associated with Jacob, who is the Island's protector for nearly the entire series.
Jacob is introduced for the first time, weaving his tapestry. He goes outside the statue of Taweret, cuts up a fish, and speaks with the Man in Black, his nemesis, as they watch a ship approach the island.
Full list of appearances
"The Tangled Web" and its variations play during the following scenes:
- Jacob speaks with the Man in Black on the beach in 1867. ("The Incident, Parts 1 & 2")
- Jacob talks to a young Kate and tells her not to steal anymore. ("The Incident, Parts 1 & 2")
- Sun asks Ben about Jacob. ("The Incident, Parts 1 & 2")
- Jacob speaks to a young Sawyer, giving him a pen to finish his letter. ("The Incident, Parts 1 & 2")
- Jacob pulls Sayid aside, saving him from the oncoming car that kills Nadia. ("The Incident, Parts 1 & 2")
- Jacob approaches the badly wounded Locke after he is thrown from a window, telling him everything will be okay. ("The Incident, Parts 1 & 2")
- Jacob tells Sun and Jin their love is special at their wedding. ("The Incident, Parts 1 & 2")
- Richard and the Others arrive at the remains of the statue of Taweret. ("The Incident, Parts 1 & 2")
- Jacob gives Jack an Apollo Bar and says the vending machine needed "a little push." ("The Incident, Parts 1 & 2")
- Jacob speaks to Hurley in a taxi cab, telling him how to return to the island. ("The Incident, Parts 1 & 2")
- Ben and the Man in Black (in the form of Locke) confront Jacob in the statue, where Ben stabs him. Jacob then sputters "they're coming" and the Man in Black kicks him into the fire. ("The Incident, Parts 1 & 2")
- In a Previously on Lost recap, Jacob talks to the Man in Black. Locke tells Ben to kill Jacob. He does so. ("LA X, Parts 1 & 2")
- Jacob appears before Hurley. ("LA X, Parts 1 & 2")
- Richard and Ilana's group discuss what to do about FLocke. ("LA X, Parts 1 & 2")
- He explains that he needs to take Sayid to the Temple and that Jin should know where it is. ("LA X, Parts 1 & 2")
- The survivors introduce themselves, and Dogen checks their names against Jacob's list. ("LA X, Parts 1 & 2")
- Ben tells Illana about Jacob's death. ("The Substitute")
- Jacob appears to Hurley again inside the Temple, telling him that someone is coming to the island and Hurley needs to help them find it. ("Lighthouse")
- He talks to Hurley again, reminding him to bring Jack. ("Lighthouse")
- Hurley tells Jack about Jacob. ("Lighthouse")
- Inside the lighthouse, Jack and Hurley look at the mirrors. ("Lighthouse")
- Jacob talks to Hurley outside the lighthouse, explaining why he had Jack see what was in the mirrors. ("Lighthouse")
- Dogen tells of how Jacob recruited him. ("Sundown")
- In a Previously on Lost recap, Ben kills Jacob. Jack and Hurley visit the Lighthouse. ("Dr. Linus")
- Ilana explains about the candidates. ("Ab Aeterno")
Jacob compares the Island to the cork in a bottle of wine. ("Ab Aeterno")
- Jack talks to Sun about their destiny as candidates. ("The Package")
- Richard returns to the camp and tells the survivors that they are leaving. ("The Package")
- Jacob is born and named. ("Across the Sea")
- Widmore tells Ben about having met Jacob. ("What They Died For")
- Jacob's boy ghost ask Hurley for his ashes. ("What They Died For")
- Soon after, Jacob talks to Hurley by the fire. ("What They Died For")
- Jacob promises the candidates he'll answer all their questions. ("What They Died For")
- Jacob tells the candidates that he won't pick a new protector-he wants them to have a choice. ("What They Died For")
- He initiates Jack as the island's protector. ("What They Died For")
- In a Previously on Lost recap, Jack becomes the Island's protector. The Man in Black tells Ben that he's going to destroy the Island. ("The End")
- Sawyer calls Jack "the new Jacob". ("The End")
- Jack passes on his job as the protector of the island to Hurley. ("The End")
- Hurley tells Walt he has a job for him. ("The New Man in Charge")
The theme from "The Tangled Web" appears in "And Death Shall Have No Dominion", "And Walk And Talk And Aah!", "Blessings and Bombs", "Doing Jacob's Work", "Hurley's Coronation", "Jack's Cup Runneth Over", "Jacob's Advocate", "Jacob's Stabber", "The Lighthouse", "Mother of a Plan", "Mother of Sorrows", "Sundown", "Trouble Is My First Name" and "What They Died For". Claudia's theme and the Legend of the Island motif share elements with this theme.
The title could allude to Jacob weaving his tapestry. It could also represent the history between Jacob and The Man in Black. When the theme is first heard at the beginning of The Incident, Jacob and The Man in Black's conversation reveals that not only do they have a past together, but also a rivalry, the details of which are not revealed until season six.