|Submit your questions for Nestor Carbonell. |
|Guidelines for Adding Questions|
• Questions should be precise and grammatically correct.
• Questions should be signed by the submitter for reference.
• Respect the Spoiler Policy when asking a question.
- So, I imagine you guys thought I'd forgotten about the whole interview thing, eh? :D
I have managed to obtain an interview with Nestor Carbonell, who plays Richard Alpert in the show. Richard is one of the most enigmatic and mysterious characters on the show, due to his seeming agelessness and his ability to pop up in unexpected places. All this should lead to a very interesting interview, and so I look forward to receiving your questions. As usual, try to avoid questions about upcoming plot details - Nestor won't know the answer, and it's a waste of his time and mine. Try to come up with a question that is unique and that he won't have been asked before - don't forget, he does many interviews, and must be bored of answering the same questions!
I have been very busy recently, but I thought I'd just give you an update. Michael Emerson has replied to my questions with answers (42 of them, no less). Expect that to be posted in the next couple of weeks or so. I'm still waiting for ABC verification on the Mike Rivero (SFX guy) interview, but it'll be worth the wait (it's full of really interesting stuff!). I also have my Speaker interview, which will be posted at the same time as the Lost Ninja interview conducted by Nickb123, but we don't know when that will happen yet. I still have more interviews waiting to happen over the next few months (and so does Sam), so look forward to those.
Thanks guys! Let's get the questions going!--05:11, 16 October 2008 (PDT)
- Please add your questions under here.--
05:11, 16 October 2008 (PDT)
- Richard seems to be a very prominent "Other" yet he has no real position of leadership. Is this a challenging role to play? Not judging or making any decisions yet still being a prominent and respected member? Freekazoid 21:15, 25 December 2008 (UTC)
- I first saw you when you played the role of Bat-Manuel on the Tick series. Do you enjoy playing more silly, lighthearted roles like that or do you prefer the serious and mysterious ones like Alpert? Gutsdozer 07:31, 8 November 2008 (PST)
- Do you wear permanent makeup? Shide 14:07, 6 November 2008 (PST)shide 16:21, 06 NOvember 2008 (PDT)
- Do you view Ben and Jacob (the leaders of the Others) as good or evil? -- 16:21, 16 October 2008 (PDT)
- What is your theory behind the reason why Richard appears to not age? -- 16:32, 16 October 2008 (PDT)
- When Richard first popped up in "Not in Portland", did you ever think that his role would be as enigmatic and fan-loved as he is? Did you know you would be appearing in multiple episodes? -- 20:34, 16 October 2008 (PDT)
- Since Cane was cancelled, Richard began appearing on the show again. Will Richard appear more now that you can fully be on the show, or will he appear just as sporadically as before? -- 20:34, 16 October 2008 (PDT)
- Which has been your favorite episode to work on? -- 20:34, 16 October 2008 (PDT)
- When you are in Hawaii and have time-off from filming, or a down day... What do you do for fun? Do you hang-out with any particular cast, or crew members? - –DocH– my edits 10:27, 17 October 2008 (PDT)
- Do you feel that it is intentional when you get casted for roles with other LOST actors such as Mathew Fox in "Smokin' Aces" and do they let you know before hand that they want you to do a scene together such as when you killed Foxy?-- SawBucks Talk Contribs 22:46, 19 October 2008 (PDT)
- Not that you have any specific details (or say) on the direction your character will ultimately go... but, if YOU had a choice would you: 1- make him really evil, 2- make him a genuinely great guy, 3- keep him ambivalent/nebulous or 4- something else (what shade of gray?)? –DocH– my edits 13:19, 18 October 2008 (PDT)
- Any chance of you becoming a regular cast member in either Season 5 or Season 6? Crash815 21:43, 18 October 2008 (PDT)
- Is there an actor on the show with whom you would like to work together in an episode, but had no chance to so far? Malachi 04:36, 19 October 2008 (PDT)
- Do you feel that the role of Richard Alpert has made you more recognizable amongst the fans? How much has your fanbase grown since you started to appear on the show? Malachi 04:36, 19 October 2008 (PDT)
- First questions from the German Lostpedia --Quartoxuma 07:30, 19 October 2008 (PDT):
- How important, do you think, is Richard? Do you think there will be a bigger role for him to play in the next seasons?
- Do you think Richard will ever die?
- Which is your favorite actor to work with?
- We already heard about actors who auditioned for a different role than they got. Did you audition for Richard or somebody else?
- How do you find traveling to Hawaii to work for Lost? Do you get any time to play tourist? How do you find the outdoor set locations compared to those in LA?
- Alpert comes across with a particularly "everyman"-down-to-earth demeanor for such an unusual character. How would you summarize how you approach playing the role of Alpert, in particular any thing that may have contributed to you landing the part? -- 13:49, 19 October 2008 (PDT)
- If you watch Lost, who are some of your favorite actors in the show (main or guest cast) and why? In the film/tv industry at large, who are some of your favorite actors? -- 13:49, 19 October 2008 (PDT)
- When filming scenes how much are you told about the intention of Richard's actions. I am curious to know what they told you about the test that Richard conducted on the young John Locke and why Richard seemed upset with the result. --StitchExp626 16:42, 19 October 2008 (PDT)StitchExp626
- Before being on the island, Locke was contacted by your character, Richard Alpert, as well as the mysterious Matthew Abaddon. Are the two of them related in any way? --rockgirlmili 17:11, 19 October 2008 (PDT)
- How do you feel about playing a character who, in spite of not being one of the leading roles, has many mysteries surrounding him - for example, his age? Do you have any theories of your own, or maybe a hint for us, the fans? --rockgirlmili 17:11, 19 October 2008 (PDT)
- Do you think that Richard will be more prominent or less prominent in Seasons 5 and 6, now that Locke has joined the Others again?
- How many toes do you have?--Raydogg57 21:07, 19 October 2008 (PDT)
- As an actor, have you ever done a character so mysterious as Richard? Do you enjoy that character? Would you be excited to become a prominent figure on the show? --Cormacalian 14:22, 21 October 2008 (PDT)
- This may sound like a stupid question, but do you actually like the show Lost in the same way we do? Like, do you have your own overarching theory of everything as every fan does, or is it just another job (which would be fine too). When there's a big reveal, like your character possibly being immortal or a time traveler, do you freak out like we do (or at least I do)? How invested are you in the plot?
- Is playing the role particularly hard for you, or does it come naturally? Is it hard to play a character that you don't know a lot about?
- What question/s about Richard would YOU, yourself ask, about your own character on LOST just to ease your mind? --Randm1
- Like many characters on Lost, Richard Alpert is named after a real individual. Have you researched the real Richard Alpert at all, and how does this affect your portrayal of Lost's Richard Alpert? -RJWeber727
- Since not much is known about your Character, and assumably you don't no much either, it must be hard to act for the character of Alpert. So do you have any idea of your own as to what kind of person Alpert is, just so you can have something to act with? --Benmanben 15:19, 1 December 2008 (PST)
- Is there anyone on the set whose conversation and company you find particularly enjoyable, and why do you think this is? Ashrawi 18:52, 22 December 2008 (UTC)
- How big of a fan of Lost were you before joining the show? --ShadowUltra 19:35, 28 October 2008 (PDT)
- Have the Producers told you anything about what happened to Richard and the Others during their trek to, and later stay at the Temple? --The Cartographer 13:04, 1 November 2008 (PDT)
- In a past radio interview, you made a statement that "Richard Alpert" might be around 400 years old. Do you still believe this? If yes, then please explain why. --kansasgal71 15:51, 4 November 2008 (PST)
- We first see Richard in "Not in Portland" when it seemed he might be a one time character. When you got the role was it supposed to be just that one appearance or was he always intended to be recurring? Were you surprised by Richards growing importance to the plot, and his popularity among fans?
- When Richard meets young John Locke he presents him with some interesting objects, what do you think is the significance of these objects? Why do you think that Richard was so discouraged after Locke took the knife? --Mynameisclint 06:31, 31 December 2008 (UTC)
- Richard is a very charismatic character in Lost, who, although takes part in some nasty stuff (like the "gasing all DHARMA members" thing), still makes a good impression. That is because he is created to somehow be paradoxal. He does some weird things, that seem to have been ordered by someone, but then he immediately reacts very involved, very personal. Regarding this, if you could answear to some of the questions below, I would be very happy!
- Why does the charachter Richard seam to want Locke as the leader of "the Others" instead of Linus, meanwhile still being extremely "polite" to Linus and taking orders from him? Is Richard keeping secrets from Linus as an extension of his relationship with Jacob, or did he have an alterior motive when he adviced Locke about Linus' intention to discredit him? Why was Richard so upset of the wrong decision Locke made? If Richard was just taking orders, his reactions wouldn't be so personal. Is Richard the leader of this whole thing? Why does he agree on Linus' experiments regarding fertility, and even recruits Juliet for him, if he is sure it is a waste of time? Any possible theory regarding the four-toed statue Sayid found?
- Do people ever recognize you on the streets as Richard the Other?
- How and why did you become an actor?
- What was it like to work with Matthew Fox in Smoking Aces considering the two of you are also in Lost?Syoung88 21:58, 15 January 2009 (UTC)syoung88
- Did you get to talk much with Heath Ledger on the set of the Dark Knight? What was it like to witness firsthand his impressive performance as the Joker?Syoung88 21:58, 15 January 2009 (UTC)syoung88
- As an actor, did you enjoy appearing in a lighter comedic show such as Scrubs? Also, do you watch Lost when its on T.V.?Syoung88 21:56, 15 January 2009 (UTC)syoung88
- During the Season 5 opener, in the scene where Richard is working on Locke's wounded leg, I noticed that Richard's voice (cadence and speech pattern, using John's name repeatedly, even vocal tone) sounded a lot like Ben Linus. Add in the spectacles, and the fact that when we first glimpse the torch-carrier the shirt appears to be different than Richard's, and the question arises: Was that really Richard working on Locke's leg? Were there any additional acting challenges / directions involved in performing that particular scene? (i.e. being directed to speak and sound like Benjamin Linus). Pandorrah 21:04, 25 January 2009 (UTC)
- At the point you guys are filming right now, do you know why Richard Alpert appears ageless? Crash815 21:06, 25 January 2009 (UTC)
- Nestor (awesome name!!), at this point Richard is definitely one of the most interesting and enigmatic characters on the show and im my opinion he is going to become possibly the most pivotal and important character on the show...how would feel if the entire outcome of the show comes to weigh on Richard's shoulders? Would you find that a daunting/terrifying or exciting experience to act? (Lostpedia member: John_Locke815)
- Hi Nestor...I'm Yan, a brazilian fan of Lost and I like your character. How is to work with those people (Terry O'Quinn, Michael Emerson, Elizabeth Mitchell)? Will Richard ever become a Main Character? --B.L. 21:49, 15 March 2009 (UTC)
- Do you even know how old Richard Alpert is? - 14:25, 20 March 2009 (UTC)
- What has been your favorite scene to film in the series so far and why? (Lostpedia member: InflatableBombshelter)