Why is this a stub?
This seems to have been a minor plot device that we will never find out more information about. Why was it marked as a stub?
I agree with that guy. ^^^ It's probably never going to be explained. Lost On Craphole Island 12:29, 16 June 2006 (PDT)
I thought it was explained. The French chick made the smoke so that she could take Aaron whom she hoped to trade to the Others for her own daughter, Alex.--ASEO 13:07, 28 November 2006 (PST)
Why would the others announce they are coming?
- The Pillar of smoke a signal for the group of the others to gather
- The Others are trying to confuse the castways
- Unlikey, they attacked The Raft which was unreachable for the castaways
- The Pillar is acctually the black smoke monster, warning the castaways that they are about to be attacked.
- Possible, the smoke was seen when The Raft was still on shore.
--Assaf 04:37, 24 July 2006 (PDT)
- We know now after several episodes of season 3 that the Others have a submarine that they use to travel quickly between parts of the island/the Hydra island. Could it possibly that the pillar of smoke is the submarine? I know absolutely nothing about submarines but I'm thinking that if it was a diesel sub, it would probably belch black smoke, especially if it was old.
- Thinking about when Colleen was cremated, could the pillar of smoke be part of a funeral pyre? --Sixtyten 03:38, 5 May 2007 (PDT)
- Rename Signal fire smoke per LOSTscape game. -- LOSTonthisdarnisland 23:47, 19 April 2008 (PDT)
- Disagree: I don't consider an ABC game necessarily canon, and also Pillar of smoke sounds better IMO. --Nickb123 (Talk) 09:55, 6 May 2008 (PDT)
- Rename, as this could cause confusion with the Smoke Monster - In "Cabin Fever", Keamy refers to the Smoke Monster as "a black pillar of smoke."--Overworkedirish 06:13, 12 May 2008 (PDT)
- Rename, per Overworkedirish. -PsychoYoshi 16:24, 19 May 2008 (PDT)
- Rename - Lostscape is official enough for me. --CTS 19:32, 4 June 2008 (PDT)
- Disagree: per Nickb123
- Disagree:As far as I'm aware in canon, it was known as the pillar of smoke. 08:00, 30 June 2008 (PDT)
- Rename - There could definitely be confusion between the name of this and how Keamy described the monster. -- 16:11, 1 July 2008 (PDT)
- I think a "see also" caption at the top of the article would be enough to solve this possible confusion. --Nickb123 (Talk) 10:19, 5 July 2008 (PDT)
- Rename - As per CTS --LeoChris 19:09, 9 July 2008 (PDT)
- Lostscape also calls it the tall column of black smoke, for the record. --Nickb123 (Talk) 08:07, 21 July 2008 (PDT)
- Disagree - Rousseau first refers to it as a "Smoke Pillar", so leave as is. The show is the overall point of reference for Lost, as confirmed by D+C in a season 4 podcast. (Ref: "The baby and I were together for only 1 week when I saw black smoke -- a pillar of black smoke 5 kilometers inland.") --Lewis-Talk-Contribs 06:45, 22 July 2008 (PDT)
- Also I think to call it signal fire smoke is inaccurate, as the article IMO should cover both what Rousseau saw years ago and what was done in Exodus. In Exodus, it was a signal fire yes made by Rousseau herself, but the night Alex disappeared could have been anything (indeed, its highly possible it was actually the monster - despite that its never done that sort of shape on the show really). --Nickb123 (Talk) 06:51, 22 July 2008 (PDT)
- Disagree: Per Nick's and Plk's reasoning, it's been known as the pillar of smoke, and the Lostscape game doesn't necessarily mean canon. --Marik7772003 11:29, 23 July 2008 (PDT)
Rousseau didn't light the fire
I'm chaning the part in this article that says it's a mystery whether Rousseau lit the fire since she didn't reply Charlie's accusation. We know that she did not; it wouldn't make any sense for her to light a fire and then go there (hoping to find the Others) to try to trade Aaron for Alex. also, we know that the Others can hide their tracks in the sand, while Rousseau wouldn't have. --20:23, 15 June 2009 (UTC)