Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Mother, the first known protector of the Island. ("Across the Sea")
A Protector guards the Heart of the Island to prevent outsiders from extinguishing or mishandling the Light there. Only the Protector can find the Heart of the Island. Protectors also have other abilities, including agelessness, the ability to confer agelessness, and healing. The Protector also defines rules that others must follow.
Protectorship transfer ritual
Jacob, the second known protector. ("Ab Aeterno")
Incumbents induct successors through a specific ceremony. In all known cases, this involves three actions:
- The incumbent gives the successor a liquid, which the successor drinks.
- The incumbent touches the successor.
- The incumbent acknowledges the transition with a phrase. Mother told Jacob, "Now we are the same." Jacob and Jack told their successors, "Now you're like me."
Jack passes protection of the Island to Hurley.. ("The End")
Details vary. Mother gave Jacob wine from a glass bottle poured into a silver cup. Jacob gave Jack water taken from a river in a silver cup similar to the one Mother used for Jacob. Jack gave Hurley water from the stream leading to the Source in an Oceanic Airlines water bottle. Both Mother and Jacob uttered an incantation over the liquid before giving it to their successors, but Jack did not. It is unknown which of these actions are simply symbolic, and which actually transfer the protectorship. ("Across the Sea") ("What They Died For") ("The End")
|Picture||Name||Started protectorship||Ended protectorship||Manner of death|
|Mother||Ancient times||Ancient times ("Across the Sea")||Stabbed and killed by the Man in Black|
|Jacob||Ancient times ("Across the Sea")||Late 2007 ("The Incident, Parts 1 & 2")||Stabbed and killed by Ben|
|Jack||Late 2007 ("What They Died For")||Late 2007 ("The End")||Died one day into his job, after the Man in Black stabbed him and he visited the Heart of the Island.|
|Hurley||Late 2007 ("The End")||Unknown||Unknown|
Second In Charge
|Picture||Name||Assisted||Started assistance||Ended assistance||Reason for stopping assistance|
|Richard||Jacob||1867 ("Ab Aeterno")||2007 ("The Incident, Parts 1 & 2") ("LA X, Parts 1 & 2")||Jacob was stabbed and killed by Ben|
|Ben||Hurley||2007 ("The End")||Unknown||Unknown|
- It appears that only one person may be the Protector at any given time, as Mother stated that her successor would have to be either Jacob or his brother.
- Three years after becoming protector, Hurley recruited Walt for a "job" on the Island. ("The New Man in Charge")
- All three of the deceased Protectors' deaths involved being stabbed.