Claire tries to sign adoptions papers but can't
Pens often come up at critical moments for the survivors of Oceanic 815.
- When Jack was trying to resuscitate Rose after correcting Boone on how it was done, Boone suggested that they use a pen in her throat and do one of those "hole things." Jack agreed and said, "Yeah, good idea. You go get me a pen." This was possibly said in an attempt to get rid of Boone. He returned after the fact with several pens. ("Pilot, Part 1") Boone can be seen hastily asking survivors if they had pens, including Nikki. ("Exposé")
- When Claire was signing her baby away to the couple Arlene and Joseph Stewart, both pens she tried to use did not work; after her second attempt she then re-evaluated her decision and decided not to go ahead with the process. ("Raised by Another")
- When young James Ford was writing the letter to Anthony Cooper, whom he knew as 'Sawyer,' his pen ran out of ink and he was handed a replacement by Jacob. ("The Incident, Part 1")
Young James Ford accepts a pen from Jacob
- When Jack attempted to clear Charlie's airway he stated that he needed a pen, saying, "I had a pen in my jacket but it's gone." The air stewardess, Cindy, also didn't have a pen claiming it was "regulation." Jack eventually managed to use his fingers but Charlie stated that he was "meant to die." ("LA X, Part 1")
- Kate used the pen that she stole from Jack in an attempt to open her handcuffs. ("LA X, Part 2")
- Jacob told Hurley that he would need to get a pen to write down his instructions. ("Lighthouse")
Hurley writes down Jacob's instructions on his arm.