Olivia was a schoolteacher for the DHARMA Initiative on the Island in the mid-1970s. According to "Cabin Fever-Enhanced", she was Horace Goodspeed's wife, but this has been left unclear, since Horace was shown married to Amy sometime between 1974 and 1977. ("LaFleur") On the other hand, the Lost Encyclopedia refers to her only as a "good friend" of Horace.
Off the Island
Olivia and Horace stop to give aid to the Linus family.
Olivia was the passenger in Horace's car, on a road 32 miles outside of Portland, when they saw Roger Linus carrying his dying wife Emily and their newborn baby out of the woods. They pulled over to offer their assistance when Emily suddenly died. ("The Man Behind the Curtain")
Later, Olivia joined the DHARMA Initiative, and left for her job without telling anyone. Her disappearance was then noticed by a documentary called Mysteries of the Universe, and her father was being interviewed. According to Olivia's father, he sold her house after she disappeared. (Mysteries of the Universe)
On the Island
Olivia teaches Ben and Annie's class about the volcano.
Olivia and Horace were involved with the DHARMA Initiative. Olivia worked on the Island as an elementary school teacher, and Ben and Annie were two of her students. One of the lessons she taught the class involved a scientific demonstration using a papier-mâché volcano. When Annie questioned if the eruption of the fake volcano was similar to what happened to the real one on the Island, Olivia responded affirmatively, but calmed Annie's fear by stating it happened a "long time ago." ("The Man Behind the Curtain")
ANNIE: Is that what happened to the volcano on this Island?
OLIVIA: Exactly Annie, but that was a long time ago.
When the Hostiles attacked, Olivia reacted as though it were a common occurrence, and had a plan for how the students were to lock the doors and take cover. Olivia matter-of-factly picked up a bolt-action rifle, and showed proficiency in how she carried it. ("The Man Behind the Curtain")
Olivia spent 3 years on the island, then she left in unknown circumstances. (Mysteries of the Universe)
Off the Island
Olivia's reappearance was noticed by the Mysteries of the Universe immediately, so the documentary made a new episode that based on her and others updated information. In that episode, an employee from the documentary called Olivia, and asked her whereabouts during the past 3 years. When Olivia learned that the call was from the Mysteries of the Universe, she hung up the phone, and refused to talk about the DHARMA Initiative. A few days later, Olivia sent a letter to the producer of the Mysteries of the Universe. In her letter, she explained that in the past 3 years she was researching in the south pacific, but she was no longer wish to be contacted regarding the matter. (Mysteries of the Universe)
After that, it's unknown what happened to her. But it can be assumed that she was still alive, and living in USA.
- On the DVD commentary track for "The Man Behind the Curtain", executive producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse describe Horace and Olivia as factoring significantly in the future "game plan" for Lost.
- Olivia's surname was never revealed in the show, but she is listed as Olivia Goodspeed on ABC's Lost website and was referred to as Horace Goodspeed's wife in the pop-ups in "Cabin Fever-Enhanced".
- A wedding ring is visible on the ring finger of her left hand during the school scene.
- What appear to be wedding bands are seen on left ring fingers of Horace and Olivia when they pull over outside of Portland to help the Linus family in "The Man Behind the Curtain".
- Lindelof and Cuse refer to Olivia as Horace's "friend" on the official Lost podcast from February 5, 2009. Also, the Lost Encyclopedia stated that she and Horace were friends.
- In the Mysteries of the Universe, Olivia's DHARMA application form was shown, and her surname did appear on it. However, the video is too blurry for audience to identify the actual words, and all we saw was a blurred surname with 7 letters. So, no matter what the surname is, it won't be Goodspeed, as it's a 9 letters word.(Mysteries of the Universe)
- For fan theories about these unanswered questions, see: Olivia/Theories
- How did Olivia get involved with the DHARMA Initiative?