Frank sees the Oceanic hotline on a news broadcast. ("Confirmed Dead")
The Oceanic Airlines Flight 815 hotline telephone number (1-888-548-0034) was seen broadcast on a news report of the discovery of the wreckage of Oceanic Flight 815 watched by Frank Lapidus. ("Confirmed Dead") Prior to this, the number was a clue in Chapter 1 of the Find 815 alternate reality game.
Frank on the phone with the hotline. ("Confirmed Dead")
In "Confirmed Dead", the hotline led to a special office of the United States National Transportation Safety Board set up for the families of those lost on Flight 815, where Lapidus spoke to an operator, but was soon connected to a supervisor.
The phone number was able to be called in real life:
As of February 7, 2008 (the original airdate of "Confirmed Dead"), calling the number does not result in contact with a human operator as seen in the show, but rather the following automated message is heard:
Thank you for calling the Oceanic Airlines Flight 815 hotline. Information is updated as the investigation proceeds. Investigations are thorough, and as such may take a period of time to complete. At this time we do do not have any additional information regarding crashed Flight 815. If you are a family member or relative of passenger on Oceanic Flight 815, we are sorry for your loss. Detailed information is given during the daily family briefings. This briefing updates families on the progress of the investigation, and allows for questions to be asked of the medical examiner or coroner and other parties connected to this investigation. Please contact your accident coordinator or call back later for more information.
After this message disconnects, there is an approximately 30-second pause, followed by two small static sounds, the special information tone and a woman's voice saying, "Your call did not go through, please try your call again, 054T" (zero five four tee). The message repeats and then disconnects. The pause was upped to one minute at sometime later.
- On or before February 15, 2008, the error code at the end of the recorded message was changed to "085T".
- On or before February 19, 2008, the error code was changed to "017T".
- On or before February 25, 2007, the error code was changed to "061T".
- On or before March 2, 2008, the error code was changed to "031T".
It is unknown if any of these numbers have any significance.
- On or before April 1, 2008, the hotline simply disconnects after the lengthy "dead air" pause, without giving any kind of error code.
- On or before September 18, 2008, a new message is heard. In place of the previous automated message, a man's voice says "This number is not active at this time." After a brief pause, a woman says "goodbye," and the hotline disconnects.
- On or before August 11, 2009, a man says "There are no updates at this time. Please press '1' for Brian, or press '2' for Grace." If no numbers are pressed, the hotline goes to a busy signal. If 1 is pressed, the same man states "there are no updates at this time." If 2 is pressed, a different man says "option 2 is not available at this time.