Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The article was about a man from New York, one Jeremy Bentham, who was found dead in Los Angeles. Jack first noticed the item in a newspaper while he was on a flight from Sydney to Los Angeles during one of his many attempts to return to the Island. Jack was the only person to attend Bentham's viewing.
An inverted look at the clipping
The clipping appears to read:
- The physical creation of the article was from Lost's prop department, and although the creators of Lost are aware of HDTV screencapping by fans, the fine print may or may not have been a direct product of the writing department.
- For an similar example of detail from content from the film crew's props department rather than the writers, see Ho`oulu Lāhui document.
- It was said by the producers that the article would be re-written.[source needed]
- Locke was not found in the loft of The Towers; he was killed at The Westerfield Hotel. ("The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham")
The actual ("real life") Los Angeles Times page B4 from April 5, 2007.
Jack views the entire newspaper page. ("Through the Looking Glass, Part 1")
- 4300 South Grand is a few miles south of Downtown Los Angeles, and slightly south-east of the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.
- The Grand Tower apartments are at 255 S. Grand Ave., Los Angeles, CA. The apartments provide short-term housing in the Central Business District of L.A., with close proximity to the Museum of Contemporary Art, the Walt Disney Concert Hall, and numerous office buildings. Seems to be the likely location for the death.
- Where the clipping of the obituary announcement would be in the real LA Times page is an article about a marijuana bust.
- "Ted", "The Tower", and "beam" are all references to central characters or places in Stephen King's The Dark Tower series of books, and other books that allude to the Dark Tower, such as Hearts in Atlantis.
A side-by-side comparison shows the differences between the two items. The portion of the page exposed on Jack's lap is the upper left quadrant of the full page.
- The article that the episode's newspaper prop is based on is from the April 5th, 2007 edition of the Los Angeles Times, which was first reported by the LA Times itself on May 24, 2007. Neither of these dates, however, can be accurate in the show for the date of Locke's death, since Locke's fake Bentham passport was dated December 2007, proving he arrived at the exit point in December.