Missing body parts, amputated limbs, and missing organs were frequently discussed or shown in Lost.
The following list shows when characters have mentioned, or were shown with missing body parts.
- Kate was turned in by Ray Mullen who has a prosthetic arm. ("Tabula Rasa")
- Locke referred to Norman Croucher, a double amputee who climbed Everest, while telling Randy about his planned walkabout trip to Australia. ("Walkabout")
- Christian's whole body was missing from his coffin in the caves. ("White Rabbit")
- Sayid threatens to cut off suspected bomber's hands during interrogation flashback. ("Confidence Man")
- Hurley, after stepping on a sea urchin, urged Jin to pee on his foot to stop the poison, he said, "Do you understand infection, gangrene, amputation?" ("Hearts and Minds")
- Jack threatened Sawyer for the case by saying he wouldn't give him his pills which would make Sawyer want his arm to be removed.
- Sayid threatened to cut out Sawyer's eye. ("Confidence Man")
- Hibbs had a segment of his fourth digit on his left hand missing. ("Outlaws")
- Martha Toomey told Hurley that she lost her leg in a car crash. ("Numbers")
- Locke sacrificed his kidney to save his father. ("Deus Ex Machina")
- Jack planned to amputate Boone's leg to save his life. ("Do No Harm")
- Rousseau referred to Montand losing his arm in the Dark Territory. ("Exodus, Part 1")
The 4-toed statue that Sayid found.
- When the survivors watched the Swan Orientation Film, the presenter, Dr. Marvin Candle, had a prosthetic arm. When seen in another Orientation Film, both of his arms were functional. ("Orientation")
- Sawyer told Jin, "Yeah, yeah, Chewie, I know. My arm's about to fall off." ("Abandoned")
- A glass eye was discovered in the Arrow station. ("The Other 48 Days")
- Ana Lucia told Goodwin she planned to cut off Nathan's finger to make him talk. ("The Other 48 Days")
- Sayid found a statue of a foot and lower leg. ("Live Together, Die Alone, Part 1")
- Juliet told Jack that the station they are in is called the Hydra, a reference to a mythological creature able to regrow heads that had been cut off. ("A Tale of Two Cities")
- Mikhail Bakunin was missing an eye. ("The Cost of Living")
- Jack removed a tumor from Ben's spine. ("I Do")
- Roger's corpse was accidentally decapitated when removed from the van by Hurley and Jin. Previous to this, Vincent stole his arm. ("Tricia Tanaka Is Dead")
- Jin's ghost story was about a man with an amputated hand. ("Catch-22")
- While hiking through the jungle, Locke told Sawyer about his missing kidney, and how, ironically, it saved his life after being shot by Ben. ("Confirmed Dead")
- Jack had his appendix removed. ("Something Nice Back Home")
- Jones' men threatened to cut off Juliet's hands. ("The Lie")
- Montand's arm was pulled off while the science team tried to rescue him from the Monster. ("This Place Is Death")
The Lost Experience
- There was a "Missing Organs Folder" which was repeatedly referenced, and an organ harvesting scandal which was at the heart of the story. (The Lost Experience)
From the 11/28/05 podcast:
Carlton Cuse: Exactly. Is there any connection between the loss of Montand's arm, and the fact that Dr. Marvin Candle has a fake hand?
Damon Lindelof: Eh, I dunno, is there? We also found a glass eye in the Arrow Station. People just lose body parts I think easily on the Island.
Carlton Cuse: Exactly.
Damon Lindelof: It isn't a widely known fact that actually Marvin Candle has a fake hand. You actually have to watch the film a fair amount of times, so I think that's a good nugget of podcast exclusivity that you just downloaded there.
Carlton Cuse: Wow, that's cool. And would it be possible that in a future episode we would discover why Marvin Candle has a fake hand?
Damon Lindelof: I suppose anything's possible, I guess. But, unlikely. [Carlton laughs]