Clouds studied by DHARMA, from the Swan Orientation Film.
The Meaning of Meteorology
The type of study the DHARMA Initiative did.
Meteorology (from Greek: μετέωρο, meteron, "high in the sky"; and λογία, logia, "the study of") is the interdisciplinary scientific study of the atmosphere that focuses on weather processes and forecasting. Meteorological phenomena are observable weather events which illuminate and are explained by the science of meteorology. Those events are bound by the variables that exist in Earth's atmosphere. They are temperature, pressure, water vapor, and the gradients and interactions of each variable, and how they change in time. The majority of Earth's observed weather is located in the troposphere.
Meteorology, climatology, atmospheric physics, and atmospheric chemistry are sub-disciplines of the atmospheric sciences. Meteorology and hydrology comprise the interdisciplinary field of hydrometeorology.
Interactions between our atmosphere and the oceans are part of coupled ocean-atmosphere studies. Meteorology has application in many diverse fields such as the military, energy production, farming, shipping and construction.
Cumulative tracks of all cyclones from 1985 to 2005.
- Rain is a theme of the show, and occurrences of it often marks a point of plot twist (see main article).
- Some of the notes on the blast door map refer to meteorological experiments conducted by the DHARMA Initiative.
- "Mountainous terrain most likely used by D.I.H.G. for meteorological research due to..."
- "Geological composition likely to cause magnetic interference with weather project"
- Cyclones, Hurricanes, Typhoons and Tropical Storms are a natural occurrence in the Pacific Ocean. Despite this, we have not seen any signs of these thunderstorms on the island but only the occasional downpour. Storms forming in the Pacific would make it's wind presence feel many miles away from it's center. The island has not been upset by any strong winds.