"Mama" Cass Elliot, who recorded "Make Your Own Kind of Music", also recorded "It's Getting Better", the song playing in the car when Michael tried (and failed) to kill himself in "Meet Kevin Johnson."
Occurrences on Lost
- In the Season 2 premiere, Desmond plays a lengthy part of this song on his record player after he gets out of bed and gets ready for his day. It is interrupted when Locke blasts The Hatch door open and knocks the needle off the record. ("Man of Science, Man of Faith") Later in the premiere, after Jack comes down the Hatch to investigate it once Locke and Kate have disappeared inside, the song bursts up as he enters the interior complex. This scene is repeated in the following episode, with Desmond using it to drown out Kate's cries for help in the vicinity. ("Adrift")
Kate's reaction to hearing the unexpected song in the Swan. ("Adrift")
- In the final scene of the Season 2 finale, an instrumental sitar version of the song was faintly heard in the background as the technicians at the listening station played chess. ("Live Together, Die Alone, Part 1")
- Desmond heard the song in a bar in his deja vu "flashback". Despite the moment being chronologically before Desmond's arrival on the Island, Desmond recalled the song from the Swan, and told his friend Donovan that, with help from the song, he remembered exactly what happened that day. Explaining each specific event and watching them all fail to come true, Desmond believed he was losing his mind. When alone at the bar the next night, the same song came on and all the events Desmond predicted the night before happened. ("Flashes Before Your Eyes")
Nobody can tell ya
But you've gotta make your own kind of music
Sing your own special song
"Make Your Own Kind of Music" was also the name of a short-lived musical television series starring The Carpenters and airing for eight weeks on NBC in the fall of 1971 . The first episode (airing on July 20th) featured musician Herb Alpert introducing the letter "A" as part of a Sesame Street-inspired alphabet run. Combined with the first name of the starring duo's male half, Richard Carpenter, it coincidentally forms the name of The Island's long-time inhabitant and key-member of The Others, Richard Alpert. Damon Lindelof has previously stated the character was named after a famous person.
Mama Cass, who recorded "Make Your Own Kind of Music", also recorded "It's Getting Better", which was included on the B-side of the record. "It's Getting Better" is featured in the season 4 episode "Meet Kevin Johnson."
- Wikipedia - "Make Your Own Kind of Music"
- CassElliot.com - Official website
- Make Your Own Kind of Music - TV series fan page