|Main Article||Theories about|
|Theories may be removed if ...|
See the Lostpedia theory policy for more details.
- From The Lost Experience ARG we have learned that Thomas Mittelwerk was using savants as calculating machines to run what appears to be The Valenzetti Equation. Perhaps this is the form of heuristics referred to in the acronym.
- To sum up, these savants - guided by mathematicians - are repeatedly reducing the Valenzetti Equation results to some final answer.
- Perhaps the DHARMA initiative was meant to explore the real-world applications of heuristic discovery by leading the "students" (those in the hatches) to indirectly solve some unknown problem of importance (possibly related to The Valenzetti Equation).
- DHARMA was researching the human tendency to jump to conclusions about things, and not fully analyse information or appreciate other explanations for a behaviour (a known heuristic is the 'discounting principle' where people use one reason to explain a behaviour and ignore other more complicated reasons).
- The DHARMA experiment may be one on heuristics for the 815 survivors in our story... who all could be described as poor decision makers. Modeling of better decision making, with attention to consequences, could be the goal of this research. This may explain what "good" is; that they are "good subjects for experimentation", because they have shown to be poor decision makers in the past.
- "Research on Material Applications" may not mean research of 'materials', but rather research on how heuristics apply (material meaning 'tangible', 'definite', or 'important').
- It could be DHARMA studies and experiments to find the uses of new "materials" by testing and researching such "materials" experimentally. What materials this would refer to, however, and what they would be applied to is obviously, impossible to say. Could a DHARMA experiment have been a study of the black smoke (via experimentation, due to no previous knowledge)?
- There is no Hanso Corporation; there is no 'Secret' Island; there is no experiments; the main reason of DHARMA is to see the reactions of the flight survivors to what happens on the island, and what happens when they learn about each other.
- Binary Code (theory) is at the heart of the algorithms used in heuristic learning.