Image from the Jigsaw Puzzles
4 is the first of the Numbers. Below is a list of appearances on the show, by episode chronology.
Occurrences in the show
- Jack told the pilot that at least 48 people survived the plane crash.
- Jack had 4 cuts on his face, two on one side and two on the other.
- There were 4 Chinese characters in Jack's tattoos.
- The doubling cube showed number 4 while Locke explained backgammon to Walt. (This changed to a 16 in the same scene.) ("Pilot, Part 2")
- Locke blew the whistle 4 times before Vincent came running out of the jungle. ("Tabula Rasa")
- Locke had lived with his paralysis for 4 years. ("Walkabout")
- Sawyer told Kate, "It's about time. I made this birthday wish 4 years ago." ("White Rabbit")
- Michael told the survivors to dig out Jack 4 at a time. ("The Moth")
- Boone's T-shirt had the number 84 on it (in the form of a Japanese kanji symbol). ("Solitary")
Leonard Simms playing Connect .
- Sayid said the beach would be eroded in 4 days.
- Hurley said Charlie shot Ethan 4 times. ("Homecoming")
- The Number 4 appeared on a jersey of a rugby player shown on the television in the bar where Sawyer met Christian Shephard. ("Outlaws")
- Leonard Simms was playing the game Connect Four. ("Numbers")
- Martha Toomey told Hurley that Sam Toomey had been dead for 4 years. ("Numbers")
- Hurley's grandpa, Tito, was the 4th relative he introduced to reporters after winning the lottery. ("Numbers")
- Hurley said his grandpa Tito had a pacemaker put in him "4 years ago." ("Numbers")
- Sarah's PJs had the number 44 printed onto the left shoulder and back ("Do No Harm")
- Charlie said that only 4 people at the camp knew their blood type. ("Do No Harm")
- Sawyer read a car magazine to calm a crying Aaron. The text he read included the words 400 Horses and 4.4 Ltr power plant into a 6 speed transmission. ("The Greater Good")
The Swan countdown timer at four minutes.
- Kate counted to 4 before she noticed light shifting as she was being lowered in to the hatch. ("Man of Science, Man of Faith")
- Jack mentioned that there were still 4 guns left (1 being with the raft crew). ("Man of Science, Man of Faith")
- Locke told Desmond that their plane crashed 44 days ago. ("Man of Science, Man of Faith")
- Kate retrieved 4 Apollo candy bars from the hatch pantry when she attempted to go through the vents. ("Adrift")
- The alarm sounded 4 minutes before the countdown timer expired, where the numbers must be entered. ("Adrift")
- Sun lost her wedding ring 4 days after the raft set sail. ("...And Found")
- The tail-section survivors were separated from the fuselage-survivors for 48 days. ("The Other 48 Days")
- Libby told Ana Lucia that Donald would be the "fourth one to go" if they didn't help with his injury. ("The Other 48 Days")
- Goodwin said to Ana Lucia, "I'm worried about you Ana. You've had him down there for 4 days." ("The Other 48 Days")
- Mr. Eko's vow of silence lasted for 40 days. ("The Other 48 Days")
- Ana Lucia's mother said that Jason put 4 bullets into Ana Lucia. ("Collision")
- Matthew Reed had been working with Ana Lucia for 4 months when he allowed her to rejoin the police force. ("Collision")
- Ana Lucia's patrol car was # 41688. ("Collision")
- Sun said she was told what to do for 4 years. ("The Hunting Party")
- Henry Gale told Sayid that his balloon crashed on the island 4 months ago. ("One of Them")
- In The Staff there were 4 planes hanging over the baby cradle. ("Maternity Leave")
- The Blast Door map featured the expression "√16. √64. √225" beneath The Flame which evaluates to 4, 8, and 15. ("Lockdown")
- Ben says "4 months ago, I was part of the search party" ("Dave")
- Ana Lucia asked Christian Shephard, "You're ready to go now? After 4 days of drinking?" ("Two for the Road")
- Michael fired a total of 4 bullets, one on Ana Lucia, two on Libby and one on himself.
- The September 22nd System Crash occurred at 4:16. ("?")
- Mrs. Klugh gave Michael a list of 4 names. ("Three Minutes")
- Libby gave Desmond 4 dollars to buy his coffee. ("Live Together, Die Alone, Part 1")
- The number of the locker that housed Kate's dress was 841. ("A Tale of Two Cities")
- Eddie Colburn's Humboldt County Sheriff's Department ID number was 84023. ("Further Instructions")
- On the cartoon that Jack was watching, there were 4 swans being chased by a vulture. ("Every Man for Himself")
- Sawyer's prisoner ID number was 840. ("Every Man for Himself")
- Munson's prisoner ID was 248 in the prison that Sawyer was also in. ("Every Man for Himself")
- Ben's tumor was on his L4 vertebrae. ("Every Man for Himself")
- Eko found his youth photo in the 4th chapter of Isaiah. ("The Cost of Living")
- 4:8:15:16 was carved into Eko's stick. ("The Cost of Living")
- 4th book of New Testament is John
- John Chapter 8, verses 15:16 "You judge according to the flesh; I am not judging anyone. 16"But even if I do judge, My judgment is true; for I am not alone in it, but I and the Father who sent Me."
Season four of the TV show Exposé
- Charlie's guitar had 4 stickers on it. ("Flashes Before Your Eyes")
- 4 chimes were heard while Desmond was inspecting the ring. ("Flashes Before Your Eyes")
- Mikhail said that after the purge, 4 men appeared on the lawn. ("Enter 77")
- In Enter 77, when Locke beat the computer at chess, 4 moves were shown on the sidebar of the screen.
- Nikki had a role in the 4th Season of Exposé. ("Exposé")
- Juliet said it was the 4th time her shoulder was dislocated. ("Left Behind")
- The Man in Black flashed 4 bright white lights at Kate and Juliet as they were hiding in the trees. ("Left Behind")
- There were 4 dials on the television playing the DHARMA welcome video. ("The Man Behind the Curtain")
- The code for the pylons was 54439. ("The Man Behind the Curtain")
- Ben released toxic gas in the van at 4 in the afternoon, killing his father. The rest of the Purge ostensibly occurred at the same time. ("The Man Behind the Curtain")
- Charlie claimed he held his breath for 4 minutes. ("Greatest Hits")
- Charlie was the 4th person to pass Nadia on the streets. ("Greatest Hits")
- When Desmond calls Penny, the phone rings 4 times before she picks up. ("The Constant")
- Penelope Widmore's home address was 423 Cheyne Walk. ("The Constant")
- On Faraday's chalkboard, the expression 8mG/c4 was written. ("The Constant")
- Ben said he was going to see "Mr. and Mrs. Kendrick in 4E". ("The Shape of Things to Come")
- Jack resuscitated Desmond after compressing his chest 4 times, attempting to revive him after the helicopter crashed. ("There's No Place Like Home, Part 2")
- There were 4 dogs in cages as Sayid walked to meet Ben in the veterinarian's office. ("The Economist")
- The soldiers were given 4 minutes to get outside. ("The Constant")
- The phone number Penny gave Desmond was 7946 0893 ("The Constant")
- Naomi's tattoo had 4 squares ("Meet Kevin Johnson").
- The phone rings 4 times before Locke picks it up to hear the code, 14J ("The Shape of Things to Come").
- When Jack was examining x-rays, there were 4 on the light box. ("Something Nice Back Home")
The Lost Experience
- Zander was missing for 4 months before Cliff began to search for him. (Bad Twin)
- Cliff began his search for Zander on April 15th (4/15) (Bad Twin)
- Miles sensed the graves of 4 dead U.S. soldiers. ("Jughead")
- Juliet fired 4 shots at the people in the outrigger. ("The Little Prince")
- On the beach, Rousseau fired the gun 4 times - once at Robert, three times at Jin. ("This Place Is Death")
- The donkey wheel blinked 4 times before John Locke turned it the final time. ("This Place Is Death")
- Desmond told Ms. Hawking that going to the Island had cost him 4 years of his life. ("316")
- Eloise's brooch had 4 points ("316").
- Jack's Grandfather, Ray, made 4 failed attempts to escape from his retirement home. ("316")
- Jack saw a photo of the Island dated September 23, 1954. ("316")
- The death date on the headstone John Locke visited was April (month number 4) 8, 2006. ("The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham")
- Widmore asked John Locke how long it had been since he walked into the Others' camp. Locke replied, 4 days. ("The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham")
- The final time flash landed the survivors in 1974 ("LaFleur")
- LaFleur beeped the horn 4 times for Miles to come outside. ("LaFleur")
- The water tank at the flame bore the number 4"' ("Namaste")
- Young Miles found the dead body of Mr. Vonner in apartment 4. ("Some Like It Hoth")
- Sawyer directed Miles to erase security monitor 4 where Sawyer and Kate appeared. ("Some Like It Hoth")
- Horace told Miles to deliver a package to Radzinsky at grid 334. ("Some Like It Hoth")
- Dr. Chang asked Hurley 4 questions before Hurley confessed that they were from the future.
The Man in Black crosses out Locke's name on the cave wall. ("The Substitute")
- Kate and Edward Mars went through security at LAX at a booth labeled 4F. ("LA X, Part 2")
- The license plate of the taxi that Kate carjacked was 4DQ5554. ("What Kate Does")
- John Locke was number 4 on Jacob's list on the cave wall. ("The Substitute")
- John Locke told his Physical Education students to turn to chapter 4 on reproductive study. ("The Substitute")
- Richard Alpert had the Bible open to Luke chapter 4 when he was in jail. ("Ab Aeterno")
- Lightning struck 4 times before the Man in Black appeared to Richard. ("Ab Aeterno")
- There were 4 windows/floors to the Lighthouse, not counting the top one with the actual mirrors.
- 4 birds flew by outside the Lighthouse, right after Hurley and Jack reached the top.
- There were 4 mirrors at the Lighthouse. ("Lighthouse")
- Ilana returned from the Black Rock with 4 sticks of dynamite. ("Everybody Loves Hugo")
- When Desmond was tied to the tree, the rope was wrapped around his chest 4 times. ("Everybody Loves Hugo")
- When Hugo and Libby were talking at Santa Rosa, a patient was playing Connect 4 in the background ("Everybody Loves Hugo")
- There were 4 blocks of C4. ("The Candidate")
- In Happily Ever After, Desmond hears from Hurley that their bags are at carousel 4.
- The number 840 was written on the Ajira plane. ("The End")
Outside the show and real life occurrences
- The central tenets of Buddhism are called the Four Noble Truths.
- The object in the Connect Four game is to get four of your checkers in a row, either in a vertical, horizontal, or diagonal way.
- 4 is a bad luck number in Chinese, Korean, and Japanese culture. It is associated as the death number.
- 4 gospels.
- 4 seasons.
- 4 elements (earth, water, air and fire)
- 4 horsemen of the apocalypse (war, famine, plague and death)
- At the Passover seder every year, Jewish people ask 4 questions, drink 4 cups of wine, and discuss the story of the 4 sons.
- Each U.S. Presidential term lasts 4 years.
- 4 cardinal directions (north, south, east, west)
- 4 suits of playing cards
- 4 food groups
- Violins, Violas, Cellos, Double Basses, Basses, Cuatros, and Ukuleles all have 4 strings