Tom, one of the Others, used a fake beard as well as some ragged clothes as a disguise during his encounters with the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815. Along with Tom, all of the Others that encountered the castaways wore ragged clothes in order to create the impression that they were uncivilized and undeveloped, and to hide the fact that they lived in houses and were more advanced than they look.
Tom removes his beard at the Pala Ferry dock in ("Live Together, Die Alone, Part 2") (promotional still).
In one of Claire's flashes from the time she was held captive by the Others, Tom approached Ethan in the Staff, in Claire's field of vision. He was not wearing his ragged clothes or his beard, but looked clean and shaved.
About a month after these events, Claire, along with Kate and Danielle Rousseau, discovered the station and found a locker room where the beard, theatrical glue, and some ragged clothes were contained. ("Maternity Leave")
During the prisoners exchange at the Pala Ferry dock, Kate revealed to Tom that they knew his beard was fake. Tom then removed his fake beard, commenting that it itched. When Ben arrived at the dock with the Others' boat, he asked Tom where his beard was. Tom said that the survivors knew it was fake.
Tom with and without the beard.
- Matthew Fox wore a fake beard to portray Jack in his flash forward in "Through the Looking Glass, Part 1".
- Pete Holmes used "beard glue" as a topic in his comedic rant.
- Michael Gilday was the actor depicting Gerald DeGroot, who wore a fake beard of real hair.
- Steve LaPorte was the head of the "hair and makeup" department of the Lost production crew.
- Henry Ian Cusick wore a fake beard after "The Constant", where he shaved his actual beard to portray the past-Desmond, and waited for the beard to grow back.