|Main Article||Theories about|
|Theories may be removed if ...|
See the Lostpedia theory policy for more details.
- Hurley's imaginary friend Dave is part of the way he deals with his father leaving. They have a same name and both encourage him to eat things he shouldn't.
- David meant only to leave to go somewhere for only a minute, however he met a woman. This could have been Libby, they got into a relationship and got happily married for 13 years. However, for reasons unknown, maybe David felt guilty that he had left Carmen, he faked his own death and fled away from Libby. However it took him 4 years to find Carmen again and learn that Hurley had won the lottery. Because of David dying Libby was traumatized and was sent to the mental hospital. Of course David wanted the money, and then Libby finds out David isn't really dead and has a family and has cheated, she wanted Hurley's money as revenge and follows him on 815 only to crash land on the Island.
- I've often thought that our main character's (at least those with parent issues) parents may have been on the Island. Maybe David was stuck there all that time he was gone.
- While he was away he was recruited to go to the island.
- Dave is an incarnation of the island/monster. Such as Yemi was to Eko and Christian to Jack. It tests you and if you fail you will die. It can read your mind and is omnipresent on the island.
- He's been working for the DHARMA Initiative.
- In "Some Like It Hoth" the DHARMA guy (whose face is not completely disclosed because of his helmet) who is indicating the series of numbers to be written on the hatch kind of looks like Hurley's father.
- David Reyes left for Las Vegas because he had work to do and was gone for 17 years. According to Mysteries of the Universe people who are recruited to Dharma disappear and Dharma is associated with Area 51 near Las Vegas.
- Could possibly be David Lewis who left the Island not long after his daughter, Charlotte Lewis and wife, Jeanette Lewis left in 1977. Maybe he left not long after, but met Carmen who gave birth to Hurley on December 29th 1978.
- That would be a lot more likely if Charlotte looked at all like she could have had a Hispanic father.