A number of crossword puzzles have appeared on Lost, featuring embedded clues and references.
Clues to Locke's crossword in ("Collision").
In the episode "Collision", Locke worked on a crossword puzzle as Mr. Eko brought Sawyer into the Swan. Locke filled in what appeared to be the final clue, 42, while this happened. There were at least 105 clues in the crossword, however it is likely that there were 108 total. His crossword appeared to be in a book of other puzzles.
The following clues can be seen:
The end of two words can be seen on the left column:
The following words can be seen as answered by Locke:
Locke's crossword from the Swan in ("Collision").
|22. Duran||26. Ete|
|31. Its||36. Iona|
|37. Group||37. Ghent|
|41. Log||38. Ransacked|
|42. Ghare||42. Gilgamesh|
|47. Siend||47. Somas|
|53. Acolns||48. Covet|
|59. Imgtative||54. Cilia|
|63. Laa||55. Rices|
|73. Epers||60. Tiers|
|78. Asids||69. Spir|
|90. Me||79. Brr|
Locke's answer to 42 down may be wrong.
- Having 'Gilgamesh' written as the answer to 42 down makes the corresponding across answers appear to be incorrect. However if you change the across answers as follows, you get 'Scripture' as the answer to 42 down.
- Ghare - Share
- sIend - sCend
- acoLns - acoRns
- imGtative - imItative
- laA - laP
- .isMskeet - .isTskeet
- Epers - Upers
- aSids - aRids
- pagHr - pagEr
- Alternately, if you replace the sequence Gilgamesh - black square - Ate with Sprig - black square - Acetate, and render 'Me...Acurgy' as 'Metallurgy' and 'Spir...Led' as 'Spiraled', all of the adjoining answers appear to make sense. The original crossword is likely to have looked like this before it was altered for the episode.
The crossword puzzle in Jack's car in ("A Tale of Two Cities").
In the episode "A Tale of Two Cities", Jack reached for his beeper in a flashback. Underneath the beeper, a large crossword puzzle can be seen, similar to the one Locke had in the Swan. The crossword puzzle shown is the actual Monday, July 31, 2006 (probably a production error) Los Angeles Times crossword puzzle, authored by George Shayler.
It is worth noting that Jack (fully) completed his crossword puzzle in pen with no visible signs of error, whereas Locke used a pencil, and is depicted on camera frustratingly erasing an error.
Visible Clues and Answers:
- 42. Unpleasant but indispensable parts of a job : Answer: Necessary Evils
- 4. Chimney Duct : Answer: Flue
- 8. "Attack!" to Rover : Answer: Sic
- 23. Latvian or Lithuanian : Answer: Balt
Other notable answers:
- Raft (34 Across, see Rafts)
- Prenatal (50 Across, see Pregnancies)
- O'Toole (31 Across, O'Toole's Irish Pub, where Bernard and Rose met, see photo)
- Aces (see Games)
- Heroes (40 Across)
- Oven (2 Down, Juliet burned her hand on the oven)
- Heavy Drinker (26 Down clue, Jack's Father)
- Essential Facts (30 Across)
Shannon working on a crossword puzzle in ("Walkabout").