|Main Article||Theories about|
|Theories may be removed if ...|
See the Lostpedia theory policy for more details.
- A possible station location.
- Was caused by a meteorite hitting the island
- The meteorite is also the cause of the electromagnetic anomaly and the sickness
- There is volcanic activity on the island.
- May be the remnant of a dead volcano.
- Site where the Incident happened.
- May be the location of an ancient city - possibly home to the civilization that built the Statue.
- If there was a city there, it may have been partially or completely destroyed by one of the possibilities listed above.
- The Island might have been used for nuclear testing. This could explain a crater, the sickness, why the Others might need a fertility doctor and kidnap children.
- The crater was caused by the sudden disappearance of something that was buried in the ground. Like a research station that was teleported to another point in space/time.
- The crater is a natural phenomon caused by the roof of an underground cave collapsing.
- The crater was the site of a missile of some kind
- It is a caldera of a long dormant volcano.