In a flashback, Jack turns in his father for a patient's death.
On the island, Jack and Kate find Charlie hanging from a tree, courtesy of Ethan. They take him down, and Jack attempts CPR. Kate holds his hand, crying, as Jack first pumps, and then begins hitting his chest. Emotionally exhausted, she moves briefly away from the scene, sobbing, before telling Jack to give up. At her insistence, he does, and they mourn over his dead body.
Full list of appearances
- Jack fights with Ethan. ("All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues")
- Jack and Kate find and try to revive Charlie after he is hanged. ("All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues")
- In a Previously on Lost recap, Jack fights Ethan. ("Homecoming")
- Charlie has a vision in which he tries to save Aaron from drowning in the ocean. ("Fire + Water")
- The other survivors try to put out the fire Charlie has set near the camp. ("Fire + Water")
- Locke tries to help Charlotte after Ben shoots her. ("Confirmed Dead")
- The alarm begins to sound in the Barracks, and everyone is forced to evacuate indoors. ("LaFleur")
- Jack tries to resuscitate Charlie. ("LA X, Part 1")
The piece begins with a short, two-note section of the life and death theme, before moving on to the piece's own motif. The second movement is another variation on the life and death theme.
The piece's motif also appears in "Charlie's Dream".
In a macabre bit of Giacchino's pun-filled humor, the title refers to Jack and Kate's discovery of Charlie hanging from his neck in a tree.