|Main Article||Theories about|
|Theories may be removed if ...|
See the Lostpedia theory policy for more details.
A Skinner Box, was a box designed to test anamalistic, operant behavour. The idea was, that an animal would push a certain button to recieve food or an electric shock it was a case of learning the controls. The cage operates in the same manner.
- One cage housed the two polar bears that existed on the Island. In "A Tale of Two Cities", Tom says to Sawyer that "the bears figured it out in 2 hours", meaning that there were bears in those cages.
- However, since Polar Bears are great swimmers this explain how the bears got to the mainland, 2 miles off shore.
- One of the cages housed the 105-year-old orangutan, Joop, featured in the Lost Experience.
- The cages were not designed to hold people, but rather larger creatures, such as bears, or lame/drugged creatures. Kate's cage has a gap in the bars at the roof wide enough for people or smaller animals to escape through.
- The purpose of the cages is to study cooperative behavior in animals; like The Swan and The Pearl, there is a task to be performed by groups of two or more.