A stock photo of a wild razorback boar
Several wild razorback boars have been featured in Lost and The Lost Experience. Wild boars can reach up to 440 lb (200 kg) and can be up to 6 feet (1.8 m) long. If surprised or cornered, they may become aggressive and can cause injury with their tusks. However, this is quite rare and usually only occurs if a sow feels the need to defend her piglets.
On the Island
- In several early episodes, the castaways hunted boar for food. ("Walkabout")
- Sawyer was tormented by a boar that may have been possessed by the spirit of Frank Duckett whom he killed in Australia. Sawyer eventually caught the boar, but decided to let it live, in contrast with the tree frog he later caught then killed. ("Outlaws")
- Locke and Charlie find the body of a boar that's apparently been killed by a polar bear. ("Further Instructions")
- During the Tailies' trail to the Beach camp, Jin is chased and knocked down by a boar which results in finding Goodwin's body. ("...And Found")
- Sawyer and Desmond kill a boar and host a feast on the beach. ("Left Behind")
Sawyer hosts a feast, after Desmond caught a boar.
- Miles recovered the carcass of a boar that had recently died of natural causes in the jungle to feed the survivors at the beach camp in 1954, but they were unable to cook and eat it before being attacked with flaming arrows by the Others. ("The Lie")
- The Man in Black, in the form of Locke, hunts down a boar and offers it as dinner for Richard and the Others. ("Follow the Leader")
- Ricardo sees a boar while he is trapped in chains on the Black Rock. ("Ab Aeterno")
- Young Jacob and the Boy in Black together chased a boar in ancient times. ("Across the Sea")
Native to the Island
The boars on Lost may or may not be native to the Island. Although razorback boar are not native to islands in the South Pacific, crews of ships would often transport them to newly discovered islands as a preemptive source of food should the island be colonized later. The time between discovery and colonization could be many years, giving four boars (two male and two females) the opportunity to have multiple litters before colonists arrived. Wild chickens were also transported in the same way.
- Boars were already present in ancient times ("Across the Sea")
The Lost Experience
Still from 1980 Psychology Test Orientation video showing a wild boar (middle right). Notice its resemblance to the boar seen in the stock photo above
A boar appeared in two clues from The Lost Experience:
- In several frames of the 1980 DHARMA psychology test video. (Thehansofoundation.org)
- The same photo appeared again in several frames of Glyph 57 on Rachel Blake's real blog. (Hansoexposed.com)
A boar prop at the Hawaii Film Studio.Photo by Richard Walker accompanying a Honolulu Star-Bulletin article
- The "Lost: On Location (Season 1)" special featurette starts with a clip called "The Trouble with Boars". (Lost: The Complete First Season)
- In a deleted scene of "Two for the Road", Hurley told Libby that he missed his hog, a pot-bellied pig named Chester.