The shoreline of the Island featured several bays and coves. Their geology was a classic example of solidified lava streams, thus indicating the Island's volcanic origins. Several of the bays were named on Rousseau's maps and notes.
The Cove (the southwestern bay)
Danielle Rousseau's map of the Island (English version)
- Kelvin removed his HAZMAT suit and went to this cove, where he had secretly stashed the Elizabeth. Desmond followed him, and furious that he'd been lied to for years, bashed Kelvin's head against a rock, accidentally killing him. ("Live Together, Die Alone, Part 1")
- Richard and "Locke" led the Others along the cove on their way to visit Jacob. ("The Incident, Part 1")
The atoll (the western bay)
Near Rousseau's first abandoned camp
The northern bays
Two bays split by a small peninsula
East coast cove
- Another cove was situated across from Hydra Island on the east coast (called the 'Mosquito coast' by Rousseau). It was used by the Others to hide the "Elizabeth". Southwards lay some bluffs and the East coast dock.
- Sent by the Man in Black to fetch the boat, Sawyer and Kate had to swim out to the Elizabeth. Sawyer then explained to Kate that they wouldn't meet with Man in Black's recruits but they would only meet with Jack, Hurley, Sun and the pilot instead. They then left the cove with the boat. ("The Last Recruit")
Bay of Crabs
- A deep inlet, across Hydra Island. Named by Rousseau, after the great quantity of shells and crabs. Sometimes wrongly translated as 'Bay of storms'.
- Location of the Barracks harbor with submarine dock.
- The cove can be seen when Ben told Juliet that her sister had cancer again. ("One of Us")
- The cove was seen when Jack, Kate and Daniel met Miles. ("Confirmed Dead")
The southeastern bay
- Location of the submarine cable
- Rousseau named this Bay on the south side of the Island after the large quantities of coconuts that could be found there.
- The tail section survivors and raft group came upon the bay while they were following the shore of the Island to the middle section survivors' camp. However with Sawyer's life at stake, Eko made a decision that this would take too long, and they instead risked crossing through the center of the Island, despite their fear of the Others. ("Abandoned")
- The same scene was shown again in a flashback. ("The Other 48 Days")
- Adjoining Coco Bay are steep cliff faces, hiding the cliffside cave.
- Much of these scenes were filmed at Lana'i Lookout coastline near Hanauma Bay.
- Desmond's shoreline gull capture ("Par Avion") scene was filmed at a different although similar-looking location, specifically Oahu's Ka Iwi coastline.