Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Image from the Jigsaw Puzzles
4 is the first of the Numbers. Below is a list of appearances on the show, by episode chronology.
Occurrences in the show
- Jack told the pilot that at least 48 people survived the plane crash.
- Jack had 4 cuts on his face, two on one side and two on the other.
- There were 4 Chinese characters in Jack's tattoos.
- The doubling cube showed number 4 while Locke explained backgammon to Walt. (This changed to a 16 in the same scene.) ("Pilot, Part 2")
- Locke blew the whistle 4 times before Vincent came running out of the jungle. ("Tabula Rasa")
- Locke had lived with his paralysis for 4 years. ("Walkabout")
- Sawyer told Kate, "It's about time. I made this birthday wish 4 years ago." ("White Rabbit")
- Michael told the survivors to dig out Jack 4 at a time. ("The Moth")
- Boone's T-shirt had the number 84 on it (in the form of a Japanese kanji symbol). ("Solitary")
Leonard Simms playing Connect .
- Sayid said the beach would be eroded in 4 days.
- Hurley said Charlie shot Ethan 4 times. ("Homecoming")
- The Number 4 appeared on a jersey of a rugby player shown on the television in the bar where Sawyer met Christian Shephard. ("Outlaws")
- Leonard Simms was playing the game Connect Four. ("Numbers")
- Martha Toomey told Hurley that Sam Toomey had been dead for 4 years. ("Numbers")
- Hurley's grandpa, Tito, was the 4th relative he introduced to reporters after winning the lottery. ("Numbers")
- Hurley said his grandpa Tito had a pacemaker put in him "4 years ago." ("Numbers")
- Sarah's PJs had the number 44 printed onto the left shoulder and back ("Do No Harm")
- Charlie said that only 4 people at the camp knew their blood type. ("Do No Harm")
- Sawyer read a car magazine to calm a crying Aaron. The text he read included the words 400 Horses and 4.4 Ltr power plant into a 6 speed transmission. ("The Greater Good")
The Swan countdown timer at four minutes.
- Kate counted to 4 before she noticed light shifting as she was being lowered in to the hatch. ("Man of Science, Man of Faith")
- Jack mentioned that there were still 4 guns left (1 being with the raft crew). ("Man of Science, Man of Faith")
- Locke told Desmond that their plane crashed 44 days ago. ("Man of Science, Man of Faith")
- Kate retrieved 4 Apollo candy bars from the hatch pantry when she attempted to go through the vents. ("Adrift")
- The alarm sounded 4 minutes before the countdown timer expired, where the numbers must be entered. ("Adrift")
- Sun lost her wedding ring 4 days after the raft set sail. ("...And Found")
- The tail-section survivors were separated from the fuselage-survivors for 48 days. ("The Other 48 Days")
- Libby told Ana Lucia that Donald would be the "fourth one to go" if they didn't help with his injury. ("The Other 48 Days")
- Goodwin said to Ana Lucia, "I'm worried about you Ana. You've had him down there for 4 days." ("The Other 48 Days")
- Mr. Eko's vow of silence lasted for 40 days. ("The Other 48 Days")
- Ana Lucia's mother said that Jason put 4 bullets into Ana Lucia. ("Collision")
- Matthew Reed had been working with Ana Lucia for 4 months when he allowed her to rejoin the police force. ("Collision")
- Ana Lucia's patrol car was # 41688. ("Collision")
- Sun said she was told what to do for 4 years. ("The Hunting Party")
- Henry Gale told Sayid that his balloon crashed on the island 4 months ago. ("One of Them")
- In The Staff there were 4 planes hanging over the baby cradle. ("Maternity Leave")
- The Blast Door map featured the expression "√16. √64. √225" beneath The Flame which evaluates to 4, 8, and 15. ("Lockdown")
- Ben says "4 months ago, I was part of the search party" ("Dave")
- Ana Lucia asked Christian Shephard, "You're ready to go now? After 4 days of drinking?" ("Two for the Road")
- Michael fired a total of 4 bullets, one on Ana Lucia, two on Libby and one on himself.
- The September 22nd System Crash occurred at 4:16. ("?")
- Mrs. Klugh gave Michael a list of 4 names. ("Three Minutes")
- Libby gave Desmond 4 dollars to buy his coffee. ("Live Together, Die Alone, Part 1")
- The number of the locker that housed Kate's dress was 841. ("A Tale of Two Cities")
- Eddie Colburn's Humboldt County Sheriff's Department ID number was 84023. ("Further Instructions")
- On the cartoon that Jack was watching, there were 4 swans being chased by a vulture. ("Every Man for Himself")
- Sawyer's prisoner ID number was 840. ("Every Man for Himself")
- Munson's prisoner ID was 248 in the prison that Sawyer was also in. ("Every Man for Himself")
- Ben's tumor was on his L4 vertebrae. ("Every Man for Himself")
- Eko found his youth photo in the 4th chapter of Isaiah. ("The Cost of Living")
- 4:8:15:16 was carved into Eko's stick. ("The Cost of Living")
- 4th book of New Testament is John
- John Chapter 8, verses 15:16 "You judge according to the flesh; I am not judging anyone. 16"But even if I do judge, My judgment is true; for I am not alone in it, but I and the Father who sent Me."
Season four of the TV show Exposé
- Charlie's guitar had 4 stickers on it. ("Flashes Before Your Eyes")
- 4 chimes were heard while Desmond was inspecting the ring. ("Flashes Before Your Eyes")
- Mikhail said that after the purge, 4 men appeared on the lawn. ("Enter 77")
- In Enter 77, when Locke beat the computer at chess, 4 moves were shown on the sidebar of the screen.
- Nikki had a role in the 4th Season of Exposé. ("Exposé")
- Juliet said it was the 4th time her shoulder was dislocated. ("Left Behind")
- The Man in Black flashed 4 bright white lights at Kate and Juliet as they were hiding in the trees. ("Left Behind")
- There were 4 dials on the television playing the DHARMA welcome video. ("The Man Behind the Curtain")
- The code for the pylons was 54439. ("The Man Behind the Curtain")
- Ben released toxic gas in the van at 4 in the afternoon, killing his father. The rest of the Purge ostensibly occurred at the same time. ("The Man Behind the Curtain")
- Charlie claimed he held his breath for 4 minutes. ("Greatest Hits")
- Charlie was the 4th person to pass Nadia on the streets. ("Greatest Hits")
- When Desmond calls Penny, the phone rings 4 times before she picks up. ("The Constant")
- Penelope Widmore's home address was 423 Cheyne Walk. ("The Constant")
- On Faraday's chalkboard, the expression 8mG/c4 was written. ("The Constant")
- Ben said he was going to see "Mr. and Mrs. Kendrick in 4E". ("The Shape of Things to Come")
- Jack resuscitated Desmond after compressing his chest 4 times, attempting to revive him after the helicopter crashed. ("There's No Place Like Home, Part 2")
- There were 4 dogs in cages as Sayid walked to meet Ben in the veterinarian's office. ("The Economist")
- The soldiers were given 4 minutes to get outside. ("The Constant")
- The phone number Penny gave Desmond was 7946 0893 ("The Constant")
- Naomi's tattoo had 4 squares ("Meet Kevin Johnson").
- The phone rings 4 times before Locke picks it up to hear the code, 14J ("The Shape of Things to Come").
- When Jack was examining x-rays, there were 4 on the light box. ("Something Nice Back Home")
The Lost Experience
- Zander was missing for 4 months before Cliff began to search for him. (Bad Twin)
- Cliff began his search for Zander on April 15th (4/15) (Bad Twin)
- Miles sensed the graves of 4 dead U.S. soldiers. ("Jughead")
- Juliet fired 4 shots at the people in the outrigger. ("The Little Prince")
- On the beach, Rousseau fired the gun 4 times - once at Robert, three times at Jin. ("This Place Is Death")
- The donkey wheel blinked 4 times before John Locke turned it the final time. ("This Place Is Death")
- Desmond told Ms. Hawking that going to the Island had cost him 4 years of his life. ("316")
- Eloise's brooch had 4 points ("316").
- Jack's Grandfather, Ray, made 4 failed attempts to escape from his retirement home. ("316")
- Jack saw a photo of the Island dated September 23, 1954. ("316")
- The death date on the headstone John Locke visited was April (month number 4) 8, 2006. ("The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham")
- Widmore asked John Locke how long it had been since he walked into the Others' camp. Locke replied, 4 days. ("The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham")
- The final time flash landed the survivors in 1974 ("LaFleur")
- LaFleur beeped the horn 4 times for Miles to come outside. ("LaFleur")
- The water tank at the flame bore the number 4"' ("Namaste")
- Young Miles found the dead body of Mr. Vonner in apartment 4. ("Some Like It Hoth")
- Sawyer directed Miles to erase security monitor 4 where Sawyer and Kate appeared. ("Some Like It Hoth")
- Horace told Miles to deliver a package to Radzinsky at grid 334. ("Some Like It Hoth")
- Dr. Chang asked Hurley 4 questions before Hurley confessed that they were from the future.
The Man in Black crosses out Locke's name on the cave wall. ("The Substitute")
- Kate and Edward Mars went through security at LAX at a booth labeled 4F. ("LA X, Part 2")
- The license plate of the taxi that Kate carjacked was 4DQ5554. ("What Kate Does")
- John Locke was number 4 on Jacob's list on the cave wall. ("The Substitute")
- John Locke told his Physical Education students to turn to chapter 4 on reproductive study. ("The Substitute")
- Richard Alpert had the Bible open to Luke chapter 4 when he was in jail. ("Ab Aeterno")
- Lightning struck 4 times before the Man in Black appeared to Richard. ("Ab Aeterno")
- There were 4 windows/floors to the Lighthouse, not counting the top one with the actual mirrors.
- 4 birds flew by outside the Lighthouse, right after Hurley and Jack reached the top.
- There were 4 mirrors at the Lighthouse. ("Lighthouse")
- Ilana returned from the Black Rock with 4 sticks of dynamite. ("Everybody Loves Hugo")
- When Desmond was tied to the tree, the rope was wrapped around his chest 4 times. ("Everybody Loves Hugo")
- When Hugo and Libby were talking at Santa Rosa, a patient was playing Connect 4 in the background ("Everybody Loves Hugo")
- There were 4 blocks of C4. ("The Candidate")
- In Happily Ever After, Desmond hears from Hurley that their bags are at carousel 4.
- The number 840 was written on the Ajira plane. ("The End")
Outside the show and real life occurrences
- The central tenets of Buddhism are called the Four Noble Truths.
- The object in the Connect Four game is to get four of your checkers in a row, either in a vertical, horizontal, or diagonal way.
- 4 is a bad luck number in Chinese, Korean, and Japanese culture. It is associated as the death number.
- 4 gospels.
- 4 seasons.
- 4 elements (earth, water, air and fire)
- 4 horsemen of the apocalypse (war, famine, plague and death)
- At the Passover seder every year, Jewish people ask 4 questions, drink 4 cups of wine, and discuss the story of the 4 sons.
- Each U.S. Presidential term lasts 4 years.
- 4 cardinal directions (north, south, east, west)
- 4 suits of playing cards
- 4 food groups
- Violins, Violas, Cellos, Double Basses, Basses, Cuatros, and Ukuleles all have 4 strings